Home About Me The Diagnosis HCM Facts My Favorite Posts Instagram Email Facebook Pinterest Image Map

December 15, 2008

Koop...

Today, my main man, (who is actually tied for second place), is turning NINE years old. I sure do wish I knew how to use my scanner so that I could show you pictures of him as a baby!! He was the cutest, fattest little chunk you have ever seen!! He weighed a whopping 8 lb. 9 oz. and was 21 inches long.

Now, I know some of you have delivered much bigger babies, but girls, let me just tell you that just because you are on the "fluffy" side, DOES NOT mean your body is able to have big babies. His birth was horribly scary and life changing for me.

He entered this world blue and lifeless. His little shoulders were to broad for my body and he had what they call shoulder dystochia. Basically, his head was born perfectly normal and his shoulders were unable to squeeze through. At this point, in Kooper's case, his umbilical cord was stuck partly out and cutting off oxygen from him. Head out, body stuck. Not a good combo.

It was BY FAR, the scariest moment of my (and Jason's) life. Within seconds, the room was full of nurses that were on TOP of the bed literally pushing my stomach to help the doctor "rip" him from me.

Because I know I have a few man readers, I will try to say this as lightly as possible. My recovery was hard. Very hard. 4+ episiotomy. The doctor referred to it as a "cesarean", just not the normal cesarean. I remember my 6 week check-up well. I asked the doc if I would ever NOT hurt again. A year later, I still had moments of pain from that labor.

Kooper's birth was high stress and scary. It changed my life because in that moment, I thought he was gone. We all did. In a short amount of time, I was panic stricken and afraid that I would leave that hospital without him. I cannot imagine my life without him. He has blessed us in more ways than we can count. And he was so worth those hundreds and hundreds of stitches!!;)

The thing I love the very most about Kooper is his sweet spirit. I'm not sure he has ever talked ugly to his Momma. He is calm and kind and precious to me.

He was my first experience with a baby boy. Many of you know I am the oldest of five girls. I have ALWAYS been around babies. My sisters and I are spread out over almost 20 years. Yes, we all have the same (loser) father. I helped my parents bathe and dress and feed and change diapers my whole life....but they were all girls. I wasn't sure I would know what to do with a baby BOY.

BOY, was I wrong. Kooper taught me the meaning of Momma's boy.
Kooper is my little athlete. He loves sports of any kind. Football is his favorite....during football season. Basketball is his favorite right now...because it's basketball season. I have a feeling baseball will be his favorite this spring!!:)
I must admit that I think Koop is so stinkin handsome. I wonder where he gets it?? He looks EXACTLY like his Daddy! I love that! (Hey, if you can't brag in a birthday post then when can ya??:))
He is awesome...inside and out!
I love that guy!
Happy #9, Koopster!!


17 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Birthday to your little man! I hope he has a great day.

ajphillips said...

Happy Birthday Kooper!

allie nelson said...

oh my....what a miracle! so happy Koop is celebrating his 9th birthday!

Anonymous said...

I love our boys share the same birthday, just 8 years apart. Lol Tell Kooper happy Birthday from the Eddins.

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Happy Birthday, Kooper!

Whitney said...

Thanks for making me cry! :)

Danny and Beverly said...

Happy Birthday, Koop! Hope you have a good one. I'm sure it is a little cold in C-town right now but have fun on your special day.

Marci said...

Happy Birthday Kooper!!

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

happy birhtday, kooper, from ALL the kps!!! ;)

kooper is a GREAT kid and one the most well-mannered young men i have EVER known!!! such a good heart!!!!

and you're right...so stinkin' handsome!!! ALL the kps think so!! ;)

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Kooper!! Hope you have a great day!!! :)

Toby Tucker said...

He's a good boy and you should sure be proud of him!

Brittney said...

You sure do have gorgeous kids!!! Happy Birthday, Kooper:)

Wanted to respond about the ornament. I'm glad you liked it too. I was soooo excited when my friend gave it to us. My friend Amy owns a salon and one of her stylists clients makes those. She said she'll try to find out if she has a website. I'd be standing in line to get some, too. Great for family, gifts, etc.

Hope you're enjoying the Christmas break!

Sharon said...

Happy B-day Koop! One of the first memories I have of Kooper being an exceptional young man was the night that he went out to the car when it was freezing to get his baby sister's "Betty" so she wouldn't be upset. So sweet! I love your family!

Vanessa said...

very sweet!!!! Hope Koop had a good day!

Unknown said...

Oh My Super Kooper! It was also one of my scariest moments. Not only did I think we had lost Kooper, but that we were about to lose our Amy as well. Everyone in that room was praying, begging God to give us a miracle and two lives. I'll never forget the sound of that little desperate cry or the hour and forty five minutes the doctor spent sewing Amy together again. God knew we could not do without him or her, so he blessed us in more ways than we will ever be able to count. A rare young man who God is using and maturing to be His instrument, and a woman that reflect His love and Light. Let your light shine, MA is CRAZY about YOu two!!!

Unknown said...

Oh My Super Kooper! It was also one of my scariest moments. Not only did I think we had lost Kooper, but that we were about to lose our Amy as well. Everyone in that room was praying, begging God to give us a miracle and two lives. I'll never forget the sound of that little desperate cry or the hour and forty five minutes the doctor spent sewing Amy together again. God knew we could not do without him or her, so he blessed us in more ways than we will ever be able to count. A rare young man who God is using and maturing to be His instrument, and a woman that reflect His love and Light. Let your light shine, MA is CRAZY about YOu two!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.