Although this post is reminiscent of my "perfect" paper, I would like to remind everyone that my much younger brain was much more concerned with grammar, commas and quotation marks than my much older brain. My new brain is much more concerned with the best brand of orange juice, Baby Gap, and coffee. Thankyouverymuch! I heart spell check.
Years ago, while I was a student at ACU, a professor gave me an assignment to write a term paper. One of those long, researchy kind of papers. While I was a fairly good writer, I HATED research. I put that paper off for FOREVER until I couldn't wait any longer. Procrastination has always been my strength.
I chose a topic that, although new to me, I felt fairly confident with. Motherhood. After all, I had been a momma to my bouncing baby girl, Kate, for all of a few months. I knew everything there was to know about being a mommy.
When I sat down at that old, dilapidated computer the words started flowing from my soul. I remember LOVING the words that I had written on that paper. I ever so confidently turned it in a few days later.
That was the first and only perfect paper I have ever written. 100% was written in red ink across the top with the word "WOW" written next to it. I was so incredibly proud.
As I think back on my Motherhood paper, it makes me have such mixed emotions.
Really what I should be doing is laughing hysterically at myself.
That paper came from the depth of my soul, and contained sweet, mushy, gushy love for my new "career". It was full of sweet nothings about raising a little soul and my heart walking around outside of my body. I could have never imagined loving Kate more than I did at that moment.
I laugh now because way back then in the days of only ONE tiny little soul to raise, I never dreamed how awesome and rewarding it could be. Sometimes, in the most random, unexpected ways.
Today, as I was cleaning up mess #732, the unending mounds of crumbs under the kitchen table, I was bent over saying things like, "drive me crazy" and "never get a break". The Case-man came up behind me and asked me if Kenna had eaten his mint. I not-so-nicely growled back at him "Case, Kenna ate the mint that came with the meal you are sharing and I put MY mint on your plate for you!" He smiled so sweetly at me and said, "you gave me your favorite mint without me even asking you for it?? You are the sweetest, bestest mommy in the world!" Then he hugged and kissed my leg and gobbled up my mint!! Who knew sharing your mint would make the day of a 5 year old?
Then, a little while later, I asked Case to go get my diet coke off the counter. As he handed it back to me I noticed him watching me intently as I took a drink. Suspicious, I asked him if he had taken a drink of it. He answered, "Nope, I smelled it!" AS IN stuckthestrawuphisnose, smelled it!! Lovely.
Now THAT is worthy of 100% and WOW written in red ink.
Life is a roller coaster ride around here lately. Raising toddlers, tweens, dogs, and souls, my life as a mother is full of unexpected things. From wet kisses, leg hugs, and bedtime routines, to snot kisses, sugar highs, and straw boogers, I love my career more than ever!
6 comments:
Thanks for the laugh....you gotta love boogers. Never a dull moment with you Horton's. Have a great time on your trip.
Oh, you are so funny. Kids are the greatest because just when you think you are going over the edge, they reach out and catch you.
Oh, Amy... that post was beautiful. If I could, I'd give you a 100% on it!!! :-) It is EXACTLY how I feel most days... I used to think I knew it ALL about being a Mommy. So, just to humble me, God gave me "Grace". Now, I KNOW that I know practically nothing, and the only solution is to fall on my knees and seek help and guidance. (Funny how that works... you think God had anything to do with us choosing "Grace" for her name?!?!?!?!)
this post gave me chills!!! i love how it took me back to the days of one, sweet little kristen!!! those days are so far back in memory, and i really don't go there often enough!! thanks!!!
you're an awesome mommy!!!!!
That was so sweet and gives me so much to look forward to! I can't wait! I would love to read your paper some day, unless it is one of those things you have just kept to yourself all these years! See you Wednesday!
This is why I keep up with your blog! You are such an amazing person and mom. You seem to see the positive in everything! YOU make me want to be a better person! God bless you!
Post a Comment